Posts Tagged ‘healthy pet care’
FLEAS are a small, wingless insects, just a few millimetres long with hind legs modified for jumping. The majority of the flea life cycle will occur off the animal, but can easily occur in the home. The fleas lay their eggs on the animal, which then fall off into the environment (e.g. onto bedding or carpets). Only 5% of the flea population is actually on the animal, the remaining 95% is in the environment in form of eggs, larvae and pupae.
HOW IS YOUR PET AFFECTED?Fleas will bite cats, dogs, rabbits and even humans. You may notice your pet is scratching, licking or biting a lot, has unusual red patches of skin, signs of hair loss or flea dirt. Flea dirt looks like tiny black dots and can be identified by a simple quick test:
- Take a piece of paper towel and dampen
- Rub gently on your pets fur where you suspect there is flea dirt
- If the black dots change to a reddish-brown colour – FLEAS ARE PRESENT!
HOW TO HELP YOUR PET AGAINST FLEAS?Treat your pet with a prescription flea product as directed by the manufacturer or your veterinary surgeon. These can be in a variety of forms, such as spot-ons, collars or tablets. Speak to our staff about our Pet Health Care plans to make sure your pet gets the best prevention at the most affordable prices or find out more here. With a heavy infestation of fleas, don’t forget to treat the environment as well. Remember those fleas can live in bedding, sofas, beds, carpets, car, etc. so it’s just as important to treat the home as it is the pet!
TICKS are commonly found in long grass, and attach themselves to your pet as they brush passed. They are eight legged and are composed of two body sections. Their highly developed mouthparts allow them to pierce a pet’s skin and feed on the animal’s blood, sometimes causing reactions at the site of attachment. Severe infestations can lead to anaemia in young animals. Ticks are associated with Lyme Disease, Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis.
HOW TO HELP YOUR PET AGAINST TICKS?Prevent Ticks by using a prescription tick product as directed by the manufacturer or your veterinary surgeon. Products can be in a variety of forms such as collars, tablets or spot on treatments. Protection against Ticks is now included within our Pet Health Plan, find out more here.
If you have any questions about these parasites or prevention, our staff would be happy to help.
With this in mind, we have some exciting new changes to our Healthy Pet Care plan.
TICK PREVENTION FOR CATS AND DOGS NOW INCLUDED!At Milton Keynes Veterinary Group, we want to provide your pet with the best possible prevention against diseases and parasites. Over the last few years, there has been an increase in Tick numbers in the UK and diseases associated with them.
From January, our Healthy Pet Care Scheme will now also include protection for your pet against TICKS as well as previous protection against fleas and worms providing all round protection to your pet.
OTHER NEW DISCOUNTS TO OUR HEALTHY PET CARE PLAN!From January, our plan will now also include for all pets (cats, dogs and rabbits):
- 15% DISCOUNT off all consultations all year round
- 10% DISCOUNT off all dental procedures (excluding traumatic injury and referral)
As well as many more benefits such as microchipping, nail clips with one of our veterinary nurses and discount on food and waiting room items.
Find out more about the Healthy Pet Care Scheme here or call us directly on 01908 397777.
WE NOW PROVIDE A HEALTHY PET CARE PLAN FOR RABBITS!This plan includes:
- Your rabbit’s Myxomatosis and Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (RVHD1) ANNUAL BOOSTER
- 50% DISCOUNT off Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (RVHD2) annual booster
- 8 MONTHS PARASITE CONTROL during March – October
- 15% DISCOUNT off all CONSULTATIONS
- 10% DISCOUNT off DENTAL procedures
All this for £7.50! (plus a £10.00 joining fee initially)
Click here to find out more or contact one of our team on 01908 397777
Visit our Pet Health Care page to see full details of what our scheme includes.
Our fixed cost scheme will save you money over the year.
For example, using our Healthy Pet Care scheme for a Small Dog would save you £57.22 and using our Healthy Pet Care scheme for a Extra Large Dog over 40kg would save you £138.90. *This is according to our 2016 prices
The scheme is provide your pet with:
- Annual Health Check and Booster Vaccination
- Six month Health Check with a Vet
- Flea treatments (sufficient for 12 months)
- Worming treatments (sufficient for 12 months)
- 10% discount on: Microchipping, Lifestage & Prescription Diets, Waiting Room Sales Items, PETS Passport Scheme (including Rabies & relevant Tick Control products)
- Additional benefits include: Complimentary Nail Clippings with a veterinary nurse