• Free kitten treatment
  • aesthetic
  • aesthetic
  • Free kitten treatment
  • aesthetic
  • aesthetic

Lungworm – How to prevent this parasite

Milton Keynes Veterinary Group
In recent weeks, we have diagnosed a dog with lungworm who sadly passed away as a result of the damage this parasite can cause. Lungworm otherwise known as Angiostrongylus Vasorum in dogs is a parasite that resides in the heart and pulmonary arteries and can therefore be fatal. Lungworm is increasing in the UK however is still less common than other parasites such as fleas, ticks, roundworms and tapeworms.

Dogs can become infected by this parasite through ingestion of an infected slug or snail. When your dog if off the lead or roaming the garden you may not necessary see your dog ingest any slugs or snails, as they may do it accidentally when eating grass or drinking from outdoor water bowls.

Symptoms of this parasite can vary between cases, however the most common symptoms may include; coughing, lethargy, weight loss, poor appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, excess bleeding from minor wounds or seizures. Diagnosis of this parasite can be determined through either a faecal test or blood test.

Prevention is key with lungworm and can be prevented through monthly prescription only worming treatment, contact us if you have any concerns via email at questions@mkvetgroup.co.uk or wish to order your pet’s preventative treatment visit www.mkvetgroup.co.uk/repeat-prescriptions/. Our Healthy Pet Care plans include covers against this parasite as well as many other parasites and diseases through a simple monthly direct debit.

It is also important to clean up after your dog has passed faeces as this helps to prevent the spread of the parasite. Picking up toys that have been left outside, and outdoor food and water bowls helps to minimise exposure to slugs and snails.
  • <

Keeping your pets safe at Easter – Plants

Milton Keynes Veterinary Group
At Easter, flowers such as Daffodils may be in your house, these are poisonous to pets if they ingest them, as well as many other bulbs, plants and house plants. In the situation where your pet has ingested a plant, please contact your local vet and bring information rather the plant species if there is any. If there is no information what type of plant it is then bring along a photo of the plant or a piece of the plant to help identify it.

Signs of plant toxicity may include drooling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, abdominal pain, abnormal breathing or cardiac arrhythmias.
  • <

Guidance regarding cats and coronavirus

Milton Keynes Veterinary Group
On 8th April 2020, the BBC released a statement regarding keeping your cats indoors during lockdown. We would like to clarify that this statement from the British Veterinary Association (BVA) is not advising all cats to be kept indoors. Only cats that are living within households where individuals are infected with COVID-19 are being advised to stay inside, and then only if your feline friend is happy to do so – some cats may not be able to due to stress-related medical conditions.

The reason this is advised for cats living in households with infected individuals is that the virus could be on their fur in the same way it could be present on other surfaces. Therefore it is essential to maintain good hygiene when handling your pet at this time.

As per our previous statement regarding Coronavirus and our pets, the World Health Organisation of Animal Health (OIE) have advised that: “There is no evidence that dogs (or cats) can contract or spread infection of COVID-19.” Pet owners are at no more risk from their furry friends than they are inanimate objects such as a door handle. The best approach is still to stick to good hygiene, using soap and water to wash hands regularly throughout the day.

Read full BVA statement here – www.bva.co.uk/news-and-blog/news-article/bva-statement-on-cats-and-covid-19
  • <
mkvetgroup-facebook   mkvetgroup-instagram   mkvetgroup-google   mkvetgroup-youtube