Christmas can be a very chaotic time of year and a more dangerous time for our pets as their usual home surroundings are filled with presents, decorations, trees and much more. We want to make you aware of potential toxins over the Christmas period in order for you to sit back, relax and celebrate this time of year.
CHOCOLATE: In chocolate there is a substance called Theobromine which is poisonous to our pets. It can be found in all types of chocolate – white, milk and dark.
In the case, where your pet ingests any of the items above, it is best to contact the vet for advice. If you need to take your pet to the vet, please take any relevant packaging in order treat your pet.
ONIONS: All of the onion family, including leeks, garlics, chives and shallots whether they are cooked, dried or raw can be poisonous to dogs.
CHRISTMAS CAKE & MINCE PIES: Raisins, currents and sultanas, as well as grapes, are common ingredients and can be poisonous. Please take care in order to keep cakes and snacks away from your pet.
BLUE CHEESE: This cheese contains roquefortine C which animals are very sensitive to. Therefore is best to keep out of reach and dispose of any leftovers.
BONES: It is common for small, cooked bones (especially from poultry) to fragment easily into pieces with very sharp edges when chewed.
ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS: Xylitol can be found in chewing gums, mints, sweets and liquorice.
ALCOHOL: Most people are aware not to give alcoholic drinks to their pets, however alcohol poisoning in pets can be more common than you think!
MOULD: Growth on food, in rubbish bins and sacks can hold toxins which will quickly attack an animal’s nervous system. Only a small amount of these mycotoxins can cause tremors and seizures.
POINSETTIA, HOLLY, MISTLETOE, IVY, LILLIES: Many flowers, house plants and bulbs that can be poisonous to our pets. We often bring seasonal plants inside the house or receive them as gifts.
CHRISTMAS TREES: If eaten it may cause mild stomach upset however the sharp tips may do more damage internally.
CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS & WRAPPING PAPER: There is a high risk of gastrointestinal obstruction if the decoration is ingested.
SILICA GEL: This may be found in a present in small sachets containing silica gel
CIGARETTES: Nicotine is toxic to animals therefore keep out of reach of pets
Tags: christmas, milton keynes veterinary group, toxins