How to keep your dog’s teeth healthy
Dental health is not only important in humans but for your pets too! Here are some tips to keeping your dog’s teeth healthy:
- Provide your dog with a daily dental routine. It is best for start from a puppy. Tooth brushing is the single most effective method however other methods can also be combined. Pick a suitable time in your routine and keep as your usual time.
- If your pet is older, you should still begin daily dental care, however it is best to have a dental check prior to beginning to make sure there are no issues.
- Make sure your pet has an oral examination every year at their annual check-up.
- Provide chews and toys that are recommended and are safe for your pet. Avoid abrasive objects such as bones, hard nylon chew toys or tennis balls as these often cause damage to teeth and gums.
- Feed a diet formulated to reduce dental plaque and keep teeth healthy.
- Dental chews can be used to reduce plaque and tartar build up however these should be accounted for within their day’s diet to prevent obesity.
- Keep the session short from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
- Repeat each stage daily then move onto the next stage when you dog is comfortable.
- Train at a pace that suits for dog.
- Give lots of praise and reward for GOOD behaviour.
Tags: dental disease, dog, help, teeth, tips