Preparing for Fireworks season: Tops tips on creating you a safe den for your pet
It is a good idea to provide a den a few weeks before the fireworks season so they can associate this as a safe space. By taking your pet to the area of the den and rewarding them, this will reinforce a positive association to that safe area.
It is important not to disturb your pet whilst they are in the den, as this can cause more stress.
- Choose a quiet area within your house as well as a place your pet feels safe.
- Using a crate is a great idea for dogs, which can be covered over with blankets to reduce light and sound from the fireworks.
- For cats, a suitable den could be a cat igloo which are softer than crates or even a cardboard box.
- Place your pet’s bed or blanket in the den to provide a familiar sense of smell.
- Provide them with some of their favourite toys or comforts to make them feel safe.
- You could also provide them with a food puzzle to distract them from the noise such as a Kong for dogs or kibble puzzle for cats.
- Provide access to water
- You may wish to place an item of your clothing also for another familiar scent in their crate.
- Make sure the den is accessible at all times to your pet.
- Consider installing a pheromone diffuser close to the den area – this will need installing at least a week before.
Tags: bonfire night, Cat, dog, fireworks